Calling all Electric Ladies!

Anyone who knows me knows I rate all the females in my life very highly and believe that they are all QUEENS in their own right. Being a queen doesn't mean you have to carry around a crown and sit on a throne, but it's walking in your truth, embracing your individuality and inspiring people with your power and essence. Janelle Monae's song Electric Lady perfectly sums up to me what being a queen is all about.

Image can say so much about who you are as a person without you having to speak. That's why personal style is sooo important and a Queen knows how to flaunt her style. Like Janelle says in her song "You've got the look the Gods agree they wanna see".


I find there are soooo many Queens or Electric Ladies out there with impeccable style to draw inspiration from. When you're looking for a style switch up, how could you not just look to one of these ladies. So I decided to showcase the Electric Lady Style Series which is centered around style mavens with amazing fashion sense. I'm going to share a few of my favorite outfits worn by them as well as show ways you can achieve similar looks. It only seemed fitting that I launched this series during Women's History Month. 

Who better to start the series off, than the woman who defined the Electric Lady.......Janelle Monae.

Janelle is timeless and classic and to many, is seen as a style and beauty icon. The performer is known for her signature red lip, natural pompadour and minimalist approach to fashion using palettes of muted tones with the occasional pop of color. Initially her ensembles consisted of sharp tux and equestrian pieces one would assume would only be suited for men. But gradually she has incorporated more high fashion designer pieces from brands like Chanel, Giambattista Valli, Stella McCartney along with many others, which continually lands her on the best dressed list.

Lets get to a few composites of my favorite Janelle Monae outfits.





My focus was on a few major pieces I've been loving recently. The tasseled or fringed heel, the accordion skirt, the cape and the tailored pant...more specifically the culottes.

Now the cape is a style that can be a little intimidating to pull off. To wear it you must stand tall and confidently with shoulders square, as it gives off an air of regality. Monae was one of the first to adorn the cape dress making it quite the fad. But for those not so willing to take that leap, a split sleeve cape blazer allows you to also give this trend a try without as much effort. Paired with a simple jumpsuit, I find you achieve that sharp classic look with ease. The jewels then give the added glitz and glam needed to pull it all together.

 

This next outfit steps a little out Janelle's usual color scheme and more plays with the nude palette and colors that compliments it. I also chose to experiment with textures and play around with the variety they can give an outfit. I wanted the accordion skirt to be my focal piece, therefore I chose one by A.L.C. in an eye catching gold. Even though not apparent, it has a sultry side slit which I think adds that sex appeal when occasionally leg is shown. Janelle's outfits usually have clean lines, never masking her silhouette. So a simple cropped, off the shoulder top seemed perfect. I added a pop of color with the fringed Aquazzura sandals. Another fave on my list. Steve Madden also has a dupe to this sandal called Sassey so you can give those a look.   

Finally this outfit is a little more on the casual and colorful side. Culottes are a wide leg, knee length trouser, that at first can seem very difficult to pull off. But I love the structure they have and the occasional resemblance to a skirt, never mind the sometimes awkward length. This pant, I would most definitely pair with a heel, for fear of looking stumpy in anything other than.  

Electric Ladies 1
I hope you enjoyed the launch of this series and it inspires you to shine like the Electric Lady I know you are. Like, comment, subscribe, share and all that other good stuff. Lemme know who else you consider to be an Electric Lady. Thanks for checking the blog out!

Love Always
-V


Disclaimer :
As the owner of this blog, this blog claims no credit for any of the images in this post unless otherwise noted. Images on this blog are copyrighted to its respectful owners. If there is an image appearing on this blog that belongs to you and you do not wish for it to appear on this site, please email with link to said image and it will be removed.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love the outfits! Janelle's style really is effortlessly fly and fierce.

    ReplyDelete