Confidence.

              

Learning to love yourself and accepting who you are, for some people, is quite difficult and not something that they just end up knowing how to do. Especially based on the flaws society has taught us make us less of a person if we possess them.

The way the embodiment of perfection has been marketed, has made people strive for unrealistic standards, as opposed to working towards healthier happier beings. We want what others deem as best and because we are all uniquely made and not designed for uniformity, it takes a strike at our confidence when we are unable to achieve the same results. 

I could speak in depth on the issue because I myself have experienced it. I've been labelled as "full figured', "plus sized", "thick", "chubby", "big boned", "fluffy".....a whole host of terms have been used to describe me. But growing up I remember the one most used was FAT. 


Yes it did strike a nerve when I was younger and I did want ever so badly to be like everyone else. But now the term doesn't really have the same effect it once did.....cause really and truly ....I am fat. The difference is I've learnt how my body works, what I need to do to make the changes I want to see and how to present myself in a way that I not only feel and look comfortable but CONFIDENT. 


Confidence isn't only based on what you wear and being able to pull off an outfit. You need to have the frame of mind to accept the idea of confidence. As the quote above says, it's not needing the acceptance of others to prove you are great and worthwhile. But knowing within yourself that there is no one else out there like you, not everyone will like what you have to offer and that's OK! Tell me why the judgement of an absolute stranger should have any impact on your day to day life......EXACTLY!!! It shouldn't! 


I think confidence and body positivity go hand in hand. In that once you start to idealize all bodies are unique and deserving of self love, care and acceptance, confidence becomes a little easier and judgement of self less harsh. 


Body positivity is not only reserved for the overweight, but individuals of all sizes. People are never too big or small to struggle with opinions on their image and it basically encourages everyone to be ok with how they look and feel. 

Now I'm not saying I have the whole confidence and body positivity thing down pact. In fact I still get antsy and nervous when people stare at me too much and trust that happens quite often in our society. Slowly I'm learning to look in the mirror and instead of picking apart my flaws and hating them, I smile, try to be thankful for a functioning body and compliment what I do like. Essentially they both - the flaws and strengths, make me who I am.....a charismatic, eclectic being, unapologetic-ally made, beautifully unique, culturally concocted......A QUEEN! 


So in summation, I implore you to love yourself more! Embrace everything that makes you, you. Never stop treating yourself and working towards making yourself better daily and essentially your confidence will improve. 

Loads of Love



Disclaimer: All the images in this post belong to the owner of this blog Vanessa Phillips and are not to be used for advertising or promotional purposes unless approved to do so. 



You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I really believe people need to get away from saying I am fat to I have fat. We all have fat.... some more or less than others. It should not be used to define us as a person. Unfortunately fat comes along with lazy, unmotivated, no self control , not enough will power which is further from the truth.
    So continue to spread positive messages like these. We need more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soooo right!!! Unfortunately fat comes with a negative connotation and immediately people are judged. Hopefully with messages like these and blogs like yours things will change. Thank you for the read and comment. I really do appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful read...thanks for sharing hun :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristen!!! Sooo glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete