Five things I've learnt on my University Journey.

So graduation time is here again and it basically brought back memories of when I became a graduate of the University of the West Indies. At first I wasn't excited at all to attend the ceremony and wait forever for my name to be called amongst the sea of social science students anticipating their honors. But as the speeches were made and the scrolls handed out, it dawned on me what a milestone this actually was and how extremely proud I was of the person I had become at that moment.
It was during that very ceremony that I began to reflect on the journey from beginning, where every little thing about University life scared me; to the end where I was determined to not let the many hiccups of my final semester stop me. I have no regrets with my overall journey and I'm gonna share Five things I've learnt on my University Journey and how they helped me cope. 

1) This journey though stressful can be an amazing one.
I will never say that university is one of the easiest things you will experience but given the chance it can be one that you will grow to love and definitely will remember, the good and the bad. I, for sure, had my fair share of stress the whole four years I was there, from the sleepless nights, to the buckets full of tears, to the loads of assignments that felt impossible, burdened by the overriding thought of giving up and dropping out.  But I also remember all the friends I grew to love who shared in the stresses with me, the days of just liming away on the “front line” on the guild lawn just so I can relax, the countless beers limes and fetes I attended and maybe just maybe consumed a lil too much alcohol (sorry mum) and generally all the extracurricular activities that allowed me to meet new people, laugh endlessly and grow an appreciation for being there. So generally just be open to the new opportunity and accept everything coming your way, no regrets allowed.



2) It is OK to change your mind.
Change is inevitable and it is up to you to accept these changes and keep moving or stay stuck in your tracks.  At the beginning I thought science was all I knew and that a biochemistry degree was all I could really gain from my alma mater. After a year of failing miserably I was at cross road where I would either drop out of school or change majors. At that age, I was so terribly disappointed in myself and felt like a change in majors would only lead to more failure, so I kinda stuck on the idea of dropping out. But with support from my mum and a few close friends especially my dear friend Shaka, I decided to stick it out and do a degree in Management with Marketing.  I had no idea about this field and was terribly afraid of disappointing myself further but 3 years later I’m a graduate with upper second class honors. What more can I say.
                                                                                 

3) University is a melting pot. Don't be afraid to meet as many people as you can and make plenty new friends.
I can truly say this is one of the easiest and most exciting ways of meeting new people and experiencing cultures very much different to your own. Just ignore the urge to be shy and reach out to a stranger and you never know, you may make a friend for life. If anything, the people you reach out to have a lot more to worry about than you do, considering they are miles away from their home and everything they know. So why not try to make the experience a little less overwhelming for them. Go to the events, the beer limes, the fetes, the culture nights and introduce yourself. It all starts with a simple hello.




4) It’s an experience that can bring out the biggest changes in you. Don't be afraid to grow with these changes instead of limiting yourself.  
Your life will make changes throughout this journey, some big and some small. Embrace change and find ways that it can empower you and allow you to be the best you can be.  Even though some changes may be unexpected and hard to accept, there is a high possibility that it can open doors to success.  After all Gail Sheehy rightfully says “If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow we aren’t really living.”

5) Every day you feel like giving up or dropping out, ending your journey and graduating will be one of the best and most liberating feelings you will ever have.
This whole experience will of course test you. Some tests will be small and easy to overcome and some will drain you and feel impossible. But one thing I can tell you to do, is to keep your eye on the endgame. If you work hard, stay motivated and keep the course nobody can tell you, you don’t deserve that degree. Soon enough you’ll be walking across that stage, shaking the Chancellor’s hand with a huge smile on your face grateful for the whole experience and memories of what it took to get there.

Loads of Love
-V

You Might Also Like

0 comments