Bijou Lakay

Twenty Seventeen was the year that Barbados hosted Carifesta. Carifesta or the Caribbean Festival of Arts, is a multicultural event established in 1972 and hosted every couple years in the territories of the Caricom region. The festival gives creatives and artists across the region the platform to showcase their skills and craft in music, dance, theatre, film, painting, sculpture, photography, literature and fashion.

The events included film screenings, dance showcases, concerts, symposia and gallery displays. I tried to take a little bit of each but there was so much scheduled there was a lot I missed. The Carifesta event I was most excited for though, was the Grand Market.

My wallet wasn't as excited as I was, I definitely had to put myself under some budgetary constraints. It was a good thing it was free because I went back probably 3 or 4 times.....yea I know I'm a mess but there was so much to see and take in and the different cultures were astonishing. The first time I went, I browsed, made note of what I was interested in and also how much stuff cost. The next couple times I purchased here and there, networking with some of the vendors and even scoring discounts!

One of my FAVORITEEE fashion purchases was from Daphnee of Bijou Lakay from Haiti.

 Earrings-Bijou Lakay

If you know me, you know I have a love for statement jewelry pieces. Daphnee designs her collection from bull horn which has such beautifully unique textures and tones and each piece adds spice to any outfit. She had sooooo many pieces I wanted....but yet again budgetary constraints.


Image from http://www.bijoulakayhaiti.com
My outfit of the day features earrings from her tassel collection.



I will be attempting to obtain a few more of Daphnee's pieces for sure. If you're interested in Bijou Lakay, check out the Website or Instagram for more.


Photography by Brendon Carrington


Loads of Love
-V

You Might Also Like

0 comments